Site Meter

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Production: Wraith's Mask


How to turn concept into creation,



Mask making is something new.
But with our character Wraith for Mutare, I knew that one day I would have to bring his mask into reality.

Sadly, I am not an expert in crafting masks or other cosplay props, but I thought I would give it my best. :)

The base is just a painter’s mask that I got from the local hardware store.
The teeth are made with lightweight sculpting clay as a core (to reduce weight) and then a layer of glow-in-the-dark clay. Sculpted the fangs, then I let them dry out some to be easier to work into the jaws.
For the top and bottom jaw, only the lightweight clay was used.

Here’s the first step, which was mostly just getting the basic shapes right and seeing how they fit together.



Here’s how it looked just before baking, 

and just after.

Once everything was cool, I polished up the edges and corners, gave the fangs several coats of glass sealer, and painted the jaws to give them a ‘bone’ look and feel. The mask base was also painted black.


When everything was dry I epoxied the three pieces together and it was complete!



At which point I wore it for several hours straight, grinning and laughing like a maniac.
Our cat, Bynx, seemed quite curious as to what had consumed my face.




There are still some things that I have yet to accomplish.
I have not yet finished the SFX rig that will allow the mask to breathe smoke, and the rest of the costume pieces still need to be made and/or collected.
But for the mask creation itself, I am very pleased.

April and I took it out for an impromptu photo shoot and the pictures can be found on our DeviantART account here: Close up, April’s fav, Second shot.


 


Want to see it in person? Join us at Youmacon. :D

See you there,
-Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment